United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is searching the qualified, talented, experienced and dynamic candidates for following positions and details :
Position: Executive Support Associate
Post Number: 10005814
Type of contract: 1 Year Fixed-Term Appointment (extendable)
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Date of Issue: 12/05/2021
Effective date of assignment: 01/08/2021
Closing Date: 23/05/2021
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships :
The position of Executive Support Associate is located within the Office of the Representation in Kathmandu, Nepal. The role of this position is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to the Representative, to ensure the smooth running of the Office and effective flow and management of administrative/routine information. This involves direct collaboration with other staff members and contacts with the teams of high ranking officials, both within and outside UNHCR requiring appropriate language, tact and follow up. The incumbent prioritizes tasks and organizes work independently based on direction from the Supervisor and has access to highly sensitive information; hence high level of integrity and confidentiality are a must.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Arrange appointments and maintain Supervisor’s calendar, ensure attendance and well set up of meeting rooms, and screen telephone calls.
– Arrange meetings with high-ranking officials and official receptions given by the Supervisor.
– Ensure that high-level visitors are appropriately informed, that they receive background information as necessary, and that the necessary protocols are respected.
– Manage the flow of information to/from the Supervisor and other senior staff; identify priority matters that need to be urgently addressed or signed by the Supervisor. Follow up to ensure that appropriate administrative action is being taken by senior managers on tasks determined by the Supervisor.
– Prepare briefing materials for Supervisor for official trips or special meetings including agenda, travel details and background documents prepared by the Executive Assistant.
– Prepare informal translations if required. – Receive screen, log and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain follow-up system.
– Draft non-substantive correspondence and ensure follow-up.
– Type correspondence, documents and reports, etc., some of which are highly confidential. – Select and make pertinent abstracts and undertake searches for information.
– Maintain a file management system according to UNHCR policies, including general and confidential files.
– Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps.
– Ensure administrative procedures (travel, hospitality expenses, etc.) will be timely concluded.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications :
Education & Professional Work Experience :
Years of Experience / Degree Level :
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses :
Office Management or a related field;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience :
Extensive Secretarial training or post-secondary certificate in Business Administration, Secretarial work, Office Management or a related field.
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
Functional Skills :
*MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
MS-Editing; UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements :
local language :
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Competency Requirements :
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Core Competencies :
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
Managerial Competencies :
Cross-Functional Competencies :
Planning and Organizing
Eligibility: Candidates must be Nepali nationals.
Internal staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (RALS). If you have questions regarding eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications: If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit the application letter along with duly filled signed Personal History Form by e-mail clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to NEPKA@UNHCR.ORG by the closing date.
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet can be downloaded from:
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/ or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality